Friday, September 08, 2006

City Spring

I Love Pretoria. There are so many trees and I really know my way around – sort of. Most of my best friends live here too and it is sort of the place to be if you want to break into the Publishing industry. I especially love October, when the Jacaranda trees bloom. This entire green city turns completely purple. There is nothing like walking down the street when it is purple above you, purple besides you and purple beneath you. It is like walking through a purple tunnel and it is said that when a Jacaranda blossom falls on your head, it is good luck.

Of course, it’s not October yet so we still have a while until the extreme purple-ness swallows us. And it means something else to students: Start studying for the exams! So here I am, almost finished with my studies and almost a working girl. I love my friends, I love my family, I love my flat, I love my country, I love this city. I’ve been given so many opportunities and squandered many of them, but I’m still here. Every morning when I walk to Varsity, I am again overwhelmed by the beauty of this place. But I also notice something else. This city makes you so hard. It turns your heart to stone and your blood into ice-water. I used to smile at everyone, saying Good Morning to every one. Now, you just can’t do that anymore. People look at you funny when you do, like they just can’t believe someone has the nerve to talk to them, or like I want something to them, or they can use this opportunity t make obscene remarks or to try and get in my pants. Being friendly mostly leads other people to take liberties. As a woman, I have to constantly mistrust everyone, like all of them are potential rapists and/or muggers, kidnappers and/or murderers.

I wouldn’t mind leaving this place. I was toying with the idea of going to the UK for a year of so, but maybe I should just try another city. Durban is out of the question. Jozi is an option, but generally I find it so pretentious. Cape Town is great if you are a Publisher… I suppose I just need a couple of new faces, a new beginning, new opportunities, and new possibilities. I don’t want to stagnate. I don’t want to live here forever. Not yet, anyway. I’m only 25. Don’t I get to change my life a couple of times still?

On another subject entirely, what the hell is up with Whaling? Why are the powers that be even allowing this horrible practise to continue? How many people actually eat Whale meat and use Whale oil? The practises of killing whales are exceedingly cruel. Harpooning is so inhumane! Have we not progressed enough as a species to realise how irresponsible it is to carry on so carelessly? The Whale is one of nature’s most beautiful creatures and is very close to disappearing altogether. We haven’t even begun to learn anything from these ancient gods of the sea, while there is ample proof that they are as intelligent as the great Apes?

No comments: