Friday, February 02, 2007

Plunging into the unknown.

Last weekend I went Gorge Jumping at Graskop, Mpumalanga.

Now what, you might ask, does a Gorge Jump entail?

Well, you have to wear a full-body harness that is attached to a rather thin looking rope. Then you have to jump. It’s very flippen high. The theory is that you plunge into the Gorge for about 3 seconds when you are abruptly snapped as the rope reaches its limit. You then flip around and swing wildly for a while, until you are swinging more slowly. You are then basically suspended in the air and have to wait for someone to help you down.

The great thing about it is that it is really beautiful down there. I was a bit sedate at the time, but it was really wonderful. I wasn’t afraid at all, just a little bit hesitant when it came to actually jumping. You have to will yourself to jump. I sort of leaned into it and just surrendered myself to whatever was to happen next. I knew exactly what was underneath me, but was strangely resigned to whatever the results of my actions would be.

My friend and I jumped together, and we were strangely relaxed. We didn’t even scream or cry out. I just held me breath when we were falling and let it go only once we started swinging. The fall itself was too quick to even register – it was all over before I even knew it.

I was a bit disappointed at that – I had looked forward to the falling bit. I wanted more of an adrenalin rush, I guess. Next time I’m going to jump out of a Plane, I think that is the only way..

It was a great experience though... Being confronted by the reality of the situation and still coaxing yourself into action is no small feat. Especially if the situation in question entails you willfully putting your life in the hands of a suspiciously thin rope that has to carry the weight of two people. I feel like I can accomplish anything now. No more fear of heights! No more fear!

Life is too short, uncertain andunpredictable to worry about things that are beyond my powerto control. And those things that I can control - well - I'm not afraid of those things either.

i jumped off a freakin' mountain!!!

Anyway, the minute I figure out how to upload the footage onto Blogger, everyone will be able to see me and my friend plunge into the great nothingness!

Hey, can anyone tell me how I can repair my PC Karma?
I work on a computer every single day, but all computers hate me.

What can I do to rectify this situation?

3 comments:

Rob said...

Hey,
I'm so proud of you!
have you found the content on my blog yet? or do you keep looking at the archives of my first post?
ha ha. have a good weekend. Chat with you soon!
Rob.

momo said...

hey ree...

ek weet ek het gesê dat ek niks wil hoor van DIE NAWEEK nie, MAAR ek moet nogsteeds sê dat ek trots is op jou dat jy jou fears geface het en die groot stap in die abyss ingevat het. U go girl(friend). Ek dink as ons weer kuier (hopelik hierdie naweek...aangesien jy bietjie skaars was hierdie afgelope een, of was dit ek?) moet ons die "ek-het-by-'n-krans-afgespring" dansie doen. Lief jou!

rah* said...

hey Ree!! that's sooo awesome :)

if it's video footage, you can try youtube.com and upload and paste the embed here, if it's pics, just upload to blogger I guess :)