Thursday, February 22, 2007

Probably the most random post in histo-ree.

I finally finished watching Full Metal Alchemist. It got me thinking about death again. I don’t think death can ever truly be far from our minds. In ‘In Arcadia’, Ben Okri says that ‘when all the possibilities of life, when all the failures of a life so far, when all the despair, the fears, the worries are set against death, how feeble all our fears, worries and failures seem. The fear of death narrows the perspective of life, narrows it, and makes all of living shrink. The fear of death makes life not worth living. It makes life a sort of living death. For it gives death such power and such hegemony over every act of living. Fear of death makes death into a tyrant that commands all the laws and routes of living. It makes life surrender to death, to a future death, to a thing that has not yet occurred, and so it abolishes the entire scope and freedom of living while one is alive’. FMA the movie left a lot of questions unanswered and a lot of open threads. While it irritates me to ever rising levels to not know what happened with certain characters, I also kind of like the fact that it wasn’t tied up, all neat and tidy. Open endings mean that you can decide for yourself how the story ends. I always like a story to end where all of the characters fall in love and live happily ever after, even if I have to do some heavy self-convincing that that is what is taking place.. I blame Walt Disney. Another reason I like open endings (and I’m sure this is somehow also from Ben Okri – like everything else I say that sound clever), is that when a story is cleared up for the audience, it stops right where it says “the end”. When the story is open-ended, it kind of becomes immortal. It goes on and on and has different significance for each person who comes into contact with it, yet remain universal, regardless of age; gender; culture; etc. And thus it lives forever! So in a way, I didn’t so much finish watching Full Metal Alchemist as set it free to follow its own destiny, where ever that may lead it.

I've started watching Witch Hunter Robin and have already many midnight fantasies about one of the animated hotties. Before you ask, YES, I am aware that they are drawn... In my fantasies, so am I!

Oi! Maybe I’m watching too much anime… NAH!!!



No comments: