Saturday, February 25, 2006

Crazy talk

Well, I’ve had a busy week. Trying to keep up with all the work I have to do, going to classes, studying for tests… I’ve been keeping my mind so busy so that I wouldn’t have to feel about that I was forever waiting for something to happen to me. Anything. As long as it’s good. Then, I go out for a drink with my flatmate and her brand new boyfriend (how does she do it!). And that’s when it happened. I’ve met someone. I’ll just call him B. Now, B and I have a little bit of a history. Long story short, I remember being terribly rude to him once and I remember that he gave me shit about something and I snubbed him. I also remember him always being around in some way or another, but I never really gave him the time of day. Funny how that happens… Now, after years of indifference, we met, we talked, and I’m in love. Just like that. For the record, I’m not the sort of person who goes around falling in love with the first guy who gives me some attention. In fact, I’ve never felt like this before. It’s like walking past something every day of your life and never paying it the least bit of attention. Then one day, something - I don’t know what – makes you stop and you really see the thing for the first time. He’s wonderful. I could marry this man today. I’m already building all these castles in the sky. I could tell that he feels the same way. I hope I’m right. I hope he calls me. He said he would. Ok, so he hasn’t yet, but it’s only been a couple of days. Yes, days. What if he doesn’t call…
Oh never mind that, I’m sure he will. If he does, it will be the single most amazing thing that has ever happened to me. If he calls, he would have proved this sad old sceptic wrong, and I’d be so happy to be wrong. I’ve always hoped, but never believed that some one great could be interested in me. That there is some magic left in this world. I used to be a hopeless romantic, but I’m afraid that I’ve learnt the hard way not to wear my heart on my sleeve. I don’t think that I’m the sort of girl that things like this happen to. I’m hardly a fairytale princess kind of girl. That is why, even if he doesn’t call, I’m sure I will be ok. My flatmate said to me that people can disappoint you, they can hurt you, but they can never take your soul. I know that I will just get up and keep going, just like I was when he appeared. The knowledge that there is this amazing person out there, that this person (if only for a moment) thought that I was amazing too, is enough for me. It proves that things like that really exists and that the world really is the most amazing place. With the most amazing people in it. I believe that if he doesn’t call, the Universe might just have been trying to tell me that the world that I believed in when I was a little girl really exists. My heart will be broken, but in the end it will be comforted to know that anything is possible and that for every door that closes, another one opens in its place. I hope with all my heart that he calls. If I could make one wish or one request to the Universe, it would be to allow me to get to know this man. This can’t be just a coincidence. I don’t believe in things like that. I believe in love.

No comments: